Recently I have become acutely aware of how important female friendships are in my life. I am floored by how much impact their support and encouragement can be.
Last weekend I was able to get together with a group that I'm honored to have had in my life since seventh grade. Actually, one of ladies in this group and I have been friends since the 3rd grade. Being that in October this year, I will turn 40, it is pretty significant that these friendships are still here and going strong (despite a good number of years where we were not in each other's lifes at all). Interestingly enough, this group of my friends and I have loads of similiarities. Yet, we also have differences of opinion even on larger issues of morality. I tend to be very conservative and have (and proudly hold to) several unpopular (at least in our society) opinions, such as the facts that I feel that marriage is defined as being between one man and one woman, abortion being murder and a horrible tragedy in our day, and not wanting the government to get any further involved in our personal lives. However, this group of friends and I really seem to be able to just accept each other for who we are and what we believe. I admit that there are times when conversations can get tense. There are also times where I feel frustrated and misunderstood. Yet, despite those sometimes challenging times, I have to say that I really look forward to spending time laughing and talking with these friends. And, I'm flattered to recognize that, although my opinions may not be popular, they are still respected and that my company is still desired amongst this group.
So, that is one group of friends that I have in my life. There is also another newer group that I'm super excited about being a part of! This past Saturday I went to my first meeting for local christian women entrepreneurs and it was really incredible. So helpful, I just can't tell you! To put a group of ladies together like that was so beneficial. We each were able to listen to each other's goals and dreams for our businesses . . . and the insight and feedback from the other ladies was incredible! I knew that I would enjoy this meeting, but I had no idea how helpful and informative I would find it. And. . . the accountability! Yes!! That is going to really help me to keep it together and move my business forward. The fact that these women were on the same page in their lives as I am was great and although we didn't all know each other before this meeting, there was an immediate comfort amongst us all.
AND, this coming weekend I will be hosting the get together for a moms group that I've been a part of for a while now. I love, love, love these meetings! A small (but growing!) group of us get together to help and encourage each other in the art of mothering. It is wonderful. We usually go through a parenting book together, so in a way this group is kind of like a book club. Right now, however, we are going through a study that is on DVDs called "Effective Parenting in a Defective World". Excellent study!! I highly recommend it. As with the last group I mentioned, this group of friends are very much like me with their values and opinions. We all have struggles with the upbringing of our precious little people, and it is so wonderful to be able to share with each other and give suggestions and encouragement within this group. Even better is all the advice and understanding that I've received with these ladies.
Then there is my sister. She and I have never not been close. We are 16 months apart (I'm younger :-)) I love Maureen with all my heart and I am so glad that God gave me her as my sister. She is a constant and we know each others strengths and weaknesses. A sister is a forever friend. I admire her ability to persevere and she amazes me with what she is able to do. She is an awesome mother and has done a great job with her children. She nannies for a family and I hope they know how lucky they are to have her. She is truly gifted with children. My children adore her. Despite the fact that she is a single mom, she has completed her Bachelors and is nearly completed with her Masters degree. She is a wonderful christian woman and I can always depend on her for guidance and advice.
Then I have a friend, Ruth, who is like a sister to me. Do you have a friend that gives it to you straight?!? That is what I love about her. She truly listens and then she gives thoughtful, clear insight. So many times I have been helped by simply talking something through with her.
These different groups of ladies that I have in my life are part of who I am. They help me to stay focused on the important things. They round me out. They help me to make good decisions. These ladies are all wonderful. I am blessed to have them all in my life.
Who do you have in your life helping you navigate through the journey?!? I'd love to hear from you.

How sweet. You know you have a great groups of friends because you are a great friend. I thank God for you too!! Who knew! I thought all of my sisters were in Milwaukee,yet I have a sister in Chicago. :)
ReplyDeleteRuth