Pages

1.24.2010

Grateful doesn't cover it!

Those that follow me know that I had a scary experience this weekend with my youngest son, Michael. He experienced something called Intussuseption (see here). In his case, the small intestine folded into the large intestine. Imagine with me, if you will, a telescope that is extended. Now close your imaginary scope. It folds into the bigger part, right? That is what happened to my li'l guys insides.

I posted a prayer request on my facebook page and the outpouring of concern and encouragement from loads of people was overwhelming. It is an amazing thing, this internet. Although it can be a huge timewaster (I'm guilty, believe me!), it is also a tool to speak to so many people at once. Many of the people that were praying for my Michael and me during this time, I hadn't seen in years - as many as twenty! Yet, we are connected. It's wonderful.

I, of course, had called my pastor's wife, Toni, on my way to the hospital to ask her to pray. She called the prayer chain, and I had my whole church family praying as well. It is still hard for me to get my mind wrapped around the rapidness of the unfolding of the events. It is also hard to really grasp that he was as little as a few days from death, with us being so unaware. I've often had reminders that life as we know it can change in a moment. One such reminder came this summer as a wonderful, precious little girl on my block nearly drowned in her pool. This happened while we were on vacation. We arrived home to find a large pink ribbon tied around the tree in front of our home. There were pink ribbons tied around all the trees on the block, and on most porch banisters as well. I was exhausted from the 8 hour drive with the whole family, and honestly just chalked it up to being some type of breast cancer awareness thing. (Not an unreasonable assumption at all as my 40 something year old neighbor next door died from breast cancer only a year ago, leaving behind 3 young children and a husband). A day or two later, I managed to ask a neighbor about it and learned the horrifying truth that Lauren had fallen into her pool and was in the hospital, fighting for her life. That family had their life turned upside down in a matter of just a few moments of time. Lauren was hospitalized, and there was much of that early time that it was unsure if she would survive. She was finally released to her home just before Christmas, although she is in need of at-home nursing. We have been praying constantly for the strength of that family.

My point, however, though it may be hard to find, is that life can get so busy and so harried. I think as mothers, we often get caught up in the tasks we need to accomplish just to keep things running as we think they should. We forget to stop and appreciate the little gifts of life that the Lord has entrusted with us. Today is Sanctity of Human Life Day. A day where you stop and reflect on the value of all life. . . the unborn, the disabled, the elderly. The Lord has his timing for their lives and for their deaths and it isn't our place to mess with that. This morning at church, my pastor spoke of the blessing that children are, but he put it in a way that I had never considered. He asked us to reflect on the fact that we have been chosen by God to be a tool in creating another eternal being. Wow! That is both humbling and frightening. I joke sometimes with those that are close to me, that God had another woman in mind when he decided to grant this many children. I am always 'running to catch up', it seems. Mothering, although a true joy, can be such a challenge. Having Michael go through this experience this weekend, I can see it a bit more clearly. Perhaps that was the Lord's intent. I reflect on my feelings of frustration and annoyance as I tried to comfort him in the days prior to the hospital. Selfishly, it bothered me that he wouldn't shut up and go back to sleep. I was irritated that he wouldn't lie still, or even allow me to rock him back to sleep. To think on that now makes me feel horrible. He is a very rambunctious little guy . . . if it can be climbed, he tries. If it has a button, it gets pushed. If it makes noise in any way, he'll figure out how. Going through the day to day things, I'd find myself feeling annoyed and yes, even angry for this behavior. Having this recent experience, however, I am now saying "Thank you, God" when he exhibits any of these 'normal' behaviors! 

When was the last time you stopped and realized the preciousness of the people in your life? Don't let God have to put your brakes on just to come to that realization. Take a moment right now to write out all of the blessings that your children, spouse, parents, whomever is meaningful to you, are in your life. I'd love to hear from you here as well. Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free E-book with subscription!

Getting Organized Magazine - Wide Banner Ad