Pages

1.22.2010

Intussusception. . . what?!?

Did the name in my post title make you say "Intu. . . what?" Me too. I had never even heard of that before. However, after two days of my 2 year old having spurts of inconsolable pain, I had him at our local hospital getting his tummy x-rayed. I left the hospital to arrive home, about 20 minutes away, to an answering machine message with my Doctor asking me to call her back right away. Yeah, I know. All of you mothers out there are thinking "Oh No", right? Me too. So, I call back and she said, "Unfortunately, the x-rays showed some things that have me a little concerned and I'd like you to bring him back to have an ultrasound done". She did explain the possibility of Intussusception to me at our office visit, but I think I tuned it out - I was 90% sure he had constipation, gas, or maybe a stomach flu. Now I'm worried. Back to the hospital we go, and we're in the ultrasound before we know it. That confirms it. . . he has intussusception.  His small intestine has somehow folded or collapsed into his large intestine. Poor baby, and I admit I had some mommy guilt going on for (1) not taking him in yesterday and (2) getting irritated with him being so hard to console over the last 2 days. Anyway. . . "So, what now?" I ask the Doctor at the ultrasound department. He said that he had to get my Dr. on the phone to confirm what her orders would be, but that most likely we'll have to do a barium enema to try to force the small intestine out of the large one. This is where I started praying and tearing up a bit. . then he told me that a surgeon has been paged and if this procedure were to not work, they'd need to operate. Operate?!?  Oh my.  (Of course, I've looked all of this up on the internet now that I'm home, and indeed that is the case.) Thank God, it worked. They said that 24 hour observation was necessary, but thankfully, they gave me the option to take him home with instruction to come back through ER if he has any more symptoms. I can't wait for that time period to pass. . . again, I read on the internet that 5-10% will reverse back in that 24 hour period.

This all has me being very reflective again. I was just discussing with a friend last week about how one word, one moment, or one event can radically change your life. I am blessed, and I recognize that. My husband and I were fortunate enough to have given birth to six incredibly healthy little people after being pregnant only six times. I have friends that have experienced the pain of miscarriage. I have had a friend give birth to a baby that had died in the womb. I know a couple that lost numerous children in one tragic accident. As a Christian, I realize that these were all the will of our Heavenly Father. He knows better than we know and His ways are not like ours. I get all of that, but I still pray that His will not include that type of trial in my life. Right now, I just feel grateful. Very grateful. Thank you, Lord, for each of my precious children. Thank you, Lord, for protecting Michael. Thank you, Lord, for keeping all of my children safe for all these years. Thank you that the worst we've faired is having broken noses and concussions. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free E-book with subscription!

Getting Organized Magazine - Wide Banner Ad