What a mess! I couldn't believe it happened. I can't even blame the kids. It was all me, I had to own it. I had been in the kitchen for about an hour, assembling the chicken pot pie I had made. After it had finished baking, and I had called my children to the table to set it and get ready to eat, I removed the pie from the oven and . . . dropped it. All over the kitchen floor.
More often than not, I could handle that kind of disaster without breaking down. Yet, on this particular day, I was highly hormonal. I wanted to just leave. . . not sure where I wanted to go, I just didn't want this to be my reality. I wanted to escape.
Thinking back about things and reflecting on my childhood, I remember when things would get out of hand and loud in my home (a sadly frequent occurence), I would climb into my closet, turn on the light and read. I read and read and read. I spent more of my young years in an alternate reality that I did anywhere else. I was Laura from Little House, or Anne from Green Gables. I envied their lives.
The good news is that I stayed relatively safe in my home and grew up to have a wonderful husband, who, after I threw our dinner all over the floor, was able to put his arms around me, wipe away my tears and tell me that it was alright. Then he handed me what little cash he had in his wallet and said that we can just get take out. I was too happy to get in the car and go pick up our dinner. Even better was that when I returned home, he had the mess cleaned up and even told me that "it was good". Apparently he tasted the portion that was still in the pie plate.
We may not be where we want all the time, we may not have what we desire all the time, but I know that we can rest assure that we are where God wants us and we have what we are supposed to. My hope is that every reader of this post has that same peace, even on days where it couldn't feel less peaceful!

Awww! I'm sure we can all feel your pain, Colleen. My mom was having guests one day and was baking Pineapple Upside Down cake. Well, it got a little TOO upside down...all over the oven door. Mom was so upset. The door was clean (prior to the spill), so I artfully arranged the pineapples in a beautiful glass bowl, broke up the cake a little more, mixed up two boxes of vanilla pudding and VOILA!! Pineapple Upside down pudding cake. Her guests LOVED it. Different ending, same result. Thanks for sharing. :)
ReplyDelete