Pages

10.24.2009

Great Post at Sheila's site

Wow. If you have never visited Sheila Wray Gregoire's site, particularly her blog, go there today (you can click this post's title and be directed there). Her post on time, opportunity costs, and kids is a huge eye opener. As a busy mother to six children, I often get sidetracked with busy work, at the expense of quality time with my children. I have deep desires to raise children that are going to be ready to face the world, and to do their part in making improvements. Honestly, however, my actions in my day to day life and activities do not usually line up with my desires. Does that happen to you? What mother would say that their children aren't important? I doubt any would ever voice that. I doubt that any would ever feel that way either. However, my actions often seem to state differently, don't they?

I really want to be successful in my Clever Container business. I admit that I get a great sense of fulfillment when I reach certain goals, or meet certain markers in my business. I honestly do believe that God wired me to love to work. However, God also gave me a large family, and additionally the responsibility to take care of my aging, sickly mother as well. People need to take priority over my business. I am not giving up my business, but I do have to prayerfully consider setting out clear guidelines on time. I'm thinking that if I were to follow a consistent plan on both home and business life, I'd probably spend more productive time on my business anyway. As I run things now, I grab moments to work my business as I see them. However, the perception that gives my family was evidenced loud and clear to me yesterday by my daughter, Jessica (9). I was driving to pick up my niece and I had 3 of my children in the car riding with me. However, it was reasonably quiet and I had phone calls I had to make. So, I called several of the ladies on my team during the car ride. After the third call, my daughter asked me if I was working my Clever Container business and I answered her 'yes'. She stated something like 'wow, you always work on that.' Of course, I don't feel I work it nearly as consistently or often as I should, and her statement through me. I put the phone back away, and asked her about her feelings. I understand now that when my children see me on the laptop, on the phone, or at my desk, they jump to the conclusion that I am working. Of course, any of you mommies that are computer friendly probably understand, I spend time on the laptop 'planning' our lives. I update the calendar, I pay bills and check our accounts, I update my blog (somewhat business related, I admit, but becoming more and more personal), I find things to give my children for supplemental school assignments, I meal plan (one a 6 month service recently - woo hoo!), I read and get inspired by other mother's blogs, and admittedly I work by business. However, the percentage of business to personal laptop use is nowhere near what the kids perceive it to be. Still, I can see that I need to share more of me with the children, and leave the laptop and phone off except for designated times that I will allow for. Although they may not have a clear understanding of what all I do, they still feel slighted none-the-less. Long term, it will be much better for my family if I have the support and encouragement from everyone in my family. If they feel that the business is stealing mom away from them, I won't have their genuine support, will I? 

Anyway, thanks Sheila, for the wakeup call! Your blog is tremendous - this is not the first post that I have found to speak directly to my heart. You are warm and relatable!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free E-book with subscription!

Getting Organized Magazine - Wide Banner Ad