Pages

6.18.2010

What does your ideal day look like?

I've recently been given lots of thoughts to this question. I guess I know that I need to make some improvements and modifications in my life, and I thought that I really need to answer this question in order to best assess what things need to be addressed and changed.

Some of the things are just idealisms, and probably are not completely obtainable, as we are all human beings living in the Garcia household. :-) I realize that, but I also know that without a goal or vision, it is unlikely that you will do what is needed to make advances in that direction. A good example of realizing that I have set the bar high is that in while I strongly desire for peace and lower volume levels, I hate to admit that I frequently am the culprit that adds to the noise and chaos. I acknowledge this, and I recognize that my failure to quietly and consistently discipline the children in numerous areas has led to my inappropriate responses that including screaming, begging, and yes, even occassionally crying. So, will there be peace and quiet today or tomorrow? Probably not, and yet I can fully own that I need to make changes so that I don't keep the trend going. Make sense?

So, this is kind of a rough sketch, but my ideal day would look something like this:

I would rise up early enough that I would have acheived adequate rest, and yet I will get up early enough to exercise and have Bible time and prayer, as well as to have showered and dressed (to the shoes) before I wake the children. I will get the children out of bed without having to say it 3, 4 or 5 times. They will not be crabby and cross. Breakfast will be efficient and healthy (and vary from the daily cereal and milk). Morning chores will be done well and promptly after finishing breakfast and the schooling portion of our day would start with me feeling relaxed enough to focus because the house is in reasonable shape and I wouldn't die of embarassment if someone stopped by. Each child will come to the school table with clean clothes on, teeth brushed (!), hair combed and ready to start! The events of chores and hygeine will not be something that is lingered over, but done with the right attitude and motivation of doing all things well. My fridge and freezer would be filled with good food choices and I would know what is for dinner, not only tonight, but for the next several days as well. Back to school . . . the children will take it seriously and not need for me to constantly have to remind them of the need for them to focus and study/write/read, etc. They will have respect for me and my words, and I will not have to raise my voice just to get their attention. I will not have a need to threaten to "tell Dad" on anyone because they will have a healthy, reasonable fear of what mom can (and will) do with them as well. They will speak kindly to each other and have no desire to be mean nor to get each other in trouble. They will be happy for one another's acheivements and they will spur each other on to continue to make improvements. They will also play nicely with each other. Video games and computers are only on for a short time each day and there isn't any complaining about being bored just because these gadgets aren't easily accessible (I'd love for the desires to decrease as well - which, I pray, will happen in time). I am also active and playing and interacting with each of them all throughout the day. I stop what I am doing and focus on each child when he/she talks to me. I have learned to stop multi-tasking in everything I do, as I have learned that it really isn't efficient. Other people, beside me, would notice the 'stuff' that keeps appearing all of the floor and they will pick it up and place it where it belongs without being told to. We will have school done, and done well, before Dad comes home from work - which is around the time that the neighborhood children also come home from brick and mortar school. My husband and I will lovingly talk with one another about the day's events and discuss areas of our lives that need to be improved upon. We will be on the same page about the 'how to's that we face. Ed will feel able to relax and happy to be home, as the home will be much more peaceful and tidy. I will have the littlest one napping and my 4 year old 'resting' at the same time every day, as we will adhere to a nice schedule. We all will know what each day will consist of, for the most part, although we will be available to join friends for last minute field trips or days off, because we run the schedule - not vice-versa. I will have time each day to devote to my business tasks and will consistenly work that so that I am consistently holding 4-5 classes per month. I do a better job coaching my upcoming hostesses to make the best use of their classes, as I make numerous contacts with her during this "work appointed time". I also am providing excellent customer service to anyone that has made a purchase through me and Clever Container. My business is thriving, and yet I am still very available and engaged in my family, as I am fully and whole-heartedly aware what my priorities are. I am not intimidated by the household and mothering skills that do not seem to be natural to me, as I acknowledge that God blessed me with a good husband and six wonderful children completely aware of who He thinks I am. I enjoy putting reasonable amount of daily time in on my business, but do not "hide" in my comfort zone of focusing on it when times are challenging, as I realize that this is a means to utilize the gifts that God gave me, as well as to contribute to our family's purse, but it is not a top priority and is to be treated accordingly. The household maintenance tasks such as laundry, dishes, and bathrooms will all have people and days assigned to managing them, and they will be consistently upheld. I will not have piles of clean clothes on the basement counter - everyone will have household responsibilities that they do, do well, and have them completed prior to indulging their wants and desires for games, computer activities, or video games. All rooms of my homes are neat, "passable", but having things perfect is not a need I have. My mother, who lives with me, will be in as good of health as God will allow and will participate in the family's day to day activities to the best of that ability. I will keep her feeling a part of things and happy, and not at all the burden that she expresses herself to be. I will keep up with her various medical appointments, her medicines will always be filled on time, and I will have 'her' food needs and desires available at all times. That last thing (the food) will be happening because I will have a meal planning/grocery shopping system in place. I will be utilizing coupons at these shopping trips as well. :-) Money is not a point of stress, as we manage it well. We will have family game night one night per week, but will share each other's company many other nights as well. All of the children go to bed at a reasonable hour, without complaining or crying. Me and Ed can have time together watching his silly t.v. shows (just kidding, Ed!) before he falls alseep (he gets up at 4 a.m.!). I can then take out her calendar and schedule for tomorrow and plan out the day's details, errands, etc. so that nothing takes me by suprise or slips through the cracks. I will read or watch tv before bed and I'll be able to fall asleep without having any racing thoughts or guilty feelings about what I "should have done" or didn't quite get a chance to do. I will know that I used the day wisely and made the best use of what God gave me and my children. Oh, and during the whole day, I will have had a good amount of energy because I will be consistently exercising and making healthy food choices, so I will have lost the 20 pounds of weight that I've let creep on! :-)

So, now that you have seen my Ideal Day, I'd love to hear what yours looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free E-book with subscription!

Getting Organized Magazine - Wide Banner Ad