Well, we have had several days of notable events in the Garcia home. Yesterday, I had the nerve-wracking pleasure (?) of taking my 15 year old to get his drivers permit. Yes, I have a soon-to-be driver in my home. Wow. On the way home from getting this sought after permit, I took him to the cemetery to test out his driving skills. Not sure if others do cemetery driving, but around my area, it seems to be the place to learn. I think it is because that there is plenty of space, lots of opportunities to make turns, and very little traffic to deal with. Anyway, he loved it! Not suprised at all. So, then I took back over the wheel to drive down the main roads and stop at a drugstore to get a graduation card (congrats Jennifer!!), but when I pulled back onto the side streets, I allowed him to once again get behind the wheel. This caused a little more strain on my nerves as on our side streets, there are always cars parked along the streets and two way traffic as well, so I was a bit scared as he would come super close to a parked car to allow an oncoming car to zoom past us, but overall, he (and I) handled it pretty well.
Then, the other mile marker that happened this morning probably needs a bit of history explained to make sense to most of you. Another of my sons, who is 2 years old, and I have been sharing a fun routine together when he has a dirty diaper. Basically, since he was old enough to understand, I would plug up my nose and say "Pee-You! Who is stinky?" when he was, well, stinky. :-) This developed into him mimicking me, and eventually became his way of letting me know if he was dirty, if he had farted, or even if he was just desiring a less damp diaper. . . he would simply approach me and pinch his nose closed. I love our litte back and forths. So, this morning we were in the bathroom, brushing teeth and fixing hair, etc. when he pulled on my pant leg and pinched his nose. I replied with my normal "You want mommy to change your diaper?" and to my suprise, he shook his head 'No' and pointed to the toliet. I asked "You want to go pee-pee on the toliet?" (not something we've even been doing) and he said "Yes". So, I took off the diaper and held him in place on the big toliet seat. Wouldn't you know it. . . he took a poop into the toliet. And when I said "All done?" he told me "No" and finished up going! Amazing. No lie. . . all FIVE of my other children were three years old, and I know that other parents succeed in potty training when the child is two, or even an older one year old. . . but I didn't see that being the case in my house because . . . . well, because it never was. Anyway, we are in potty training mode now! I should have known, because I have three packages of pampers to be used. :-)
Finally, and probably the most important of mile markers is that my wonderful husband, Ed, and I have been married for SIXTEEN years today! Yep, sixteen. It has been wonderful! I love you, Ed! Kinda cute, when I look back at our first year or two together. We were so young. Now we are just . . . old. No, just kidding. I'm not old. :-) I remember him telling me he'd like to have four children. Of course, after we were months into taking care of or first baby, he said "One's good!" Too funny. But, God blessed us with another, and another, and another. Six children later, and now we have one driving and one potty training. Life is funny! :-)
Take time this weekend to honor and pray for our great veterans, as well as those who lost their loved ones to our wars. We owe our freedom to their bravery! Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!

No comments:
Post a Comment