Talk about conviction! I'm reading the book by Dr. Leman and I'm learning that I have been parenting all wrong. No, seriously, I haven't been . . . I'm a good mom, but I am learning so much out of the book about how to better equip my children to be the type of adults that I desire them to be. I don't agree with everything he says in the book, but I'm going to do the best I can to implement it regardless. I believe that continuing to do the same things will continue to yield the same results, so change is in order. I have good kids, don't get me wrong, but as with all kids, they do things that are so frustrating. The worst issue I am dealing with right now is the lack of respect the kids have for me, and for my mother (who lives with us).
My challenge for this week will be to only say it once, and then expect my words to be obeyed. I have done poorly in this area in the past. I tend to warn. Then warn again. I give tons of empty threats. Dr. Lemans book says that I am insulting their intelligence as well as reinforcing the pattern of them waiting until they hear mommy's "mad voice" before they actually obey. So, say it once . . . and expect it done. If it isn't, then you give the appropriate response (not reaction-more about that in next paragraph) and do it consistently. Consistency is key in parenting. Sadly, I lack in that area. However, I'm working on it. . . what about you? Let me know what your challenges with parenting are!
As far as responding versus reacting, that was such a lightbulb moment for me. I tend to react (in frustration or anger) when I feel disrespected by my children. However, it is appropriate and more productive to respond - giving the appropriate consequence for their action, but not in anger. Think of it like this. If your Doctor puts you on a new medicine - it is a good thing if you respond to the medicine, right? However, if you have to call your Doctor because you have reacted to the medicine, that would be a bad thing. See the difference?
I'd love to hear from you. I also really desire to increase my followers, so follow me in the google followers or in the FB Networkedblogs groups now!!
Also, I am super excited about my business, where I help bring organization home, and if you'd like to know more. . . check out my website at http://www.clevercolleen.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment