I have been so busy lately! Maybe it has something to do with all that I am involved with. However, each activity on its own has been such a blessing, I'm not willing to let it go.
Reading has definetly replaced watching t.v. or surfing the internet for me lately. One Friday each month, I meet with a small group of chrisitan moms and we have been discussing books that we read together (I guess it could be called a book club) relating to parenting. Right now we are reading "Good and Angry. Exchanging Frustration for Character. . . In You and Your Kids" by Scott Turansky, D.Min and Joanne Miller, R.N., B.S.N. I thought it would largely be about changing the child's behavior, but it focuses much more on the parents role and responsibilities and I've love it so far (only on chapter 4)! It is very practical too. Not just theories, but practical applications to relating.
Then I'm involved with the Ladies Bible Study group at my church and we meet one Friday each month as well. The book we are reading in connection with this one is "Hoping For Something Better. Refusing to Settle for Life as Usual" by Nancy Guthrie. Honestly, I've barely gotten past the Introduction for lack of time, but I can't wait to get into this book - looks great.
Finally, I've been involved with a Crown Financial Life Group Study. We have met for 3 of the 10 meetings thus far. This is happening every Sunday afternoon. This is going to be great for my finances, my marriage (my husband, Ed, and I are going through this class together), and my relationship with the Lord. It has already been a great blessing. Homework is for real in this class - however, and they don't let you sneak by. If your workbook isn't filled up (plus we have discussions re: our answers during class), the instructor is told to not allow that party to participate in that day's class. So, I've had to committ to doing my daily assignments - despite how full my days can be.
An example of a day in the life would be today. This morning we are homeschooling as usual. After taking my freshman to school, me and the other children begin to work. Today, however, at 1 p.m. I go to the school to work the Market Day sale (I bring most of the kids with - some help and some just keep the little one occupied). After that, I return home to pick up my mother and bring her to her Eye doctor appointment. Then back to school to pick up my freshman who had to stay late to serve detention (for frequent tardies), and then home to prepare dinner and make brownies. Bringing those brownies to the Athletic Awards program back at highschool son's school at 7. Fun, huh? Still, wouldn't trade my life with anyone - I'm blessed beyond belief!
Then there is my Clever Container business. Again, another huge blessing in my life. But more on that in tomorrow's post. There is so much going on (like a new catalog - which can be viewed at my site right now . . . http://www.clevercolleen.com/) but it would take too much time to fill everyone in on all the business side of my life, so check back tomorrow for those details.

Hi Colleen, I was drawn to your blog because you mentioned our book. I'm glad you are reading it. I hope it continues to help you. We find that parents often use anger when they don't have a plan. We designed that book to give parents other alternatives to anger to help kids change. May God richly bless you and Ed and your kids. --Scott Turansky
ReplyDeleteColleen, the author responded to your blog, how cool is that? Sounds like a great book, I think that Dan and I will get it.
ReplyDelete