- I should discipline my children more consistently
- I should read and study the Bible daily
- I should have nightly meals planned in advance
- I should play more with my kids
- I should help my mom with her diet
- I should have daily routines
- I should exercise
- I should spend daily time on my business
- I should make and stick to a budget (back to personal, not business)
- I should be doing what it takes to help my children develop good character traits, like responsibility, good work ethic, and compassion
- I should insist on them respecting me and other authorities (a hot issue for me right now!)
- I should get up earlier
- I should spend less time on PC (posting blogs, reading emails, browsing)
- I should be more active in my role as a Leader in my Clever Container business. Making calls to my team members - educating and encouraging them to grow their own businesses.
- I should read more
- I should list things on Ebay
- I should get our household clothes situation under control (laundry caught up, drawers and closets orderly, off season clothes put away, outgrown/not usable donated)
- I should be more organized ('specially since my business is in organizing!!)
- I should be more patient and compassionate to my mom, my husband, and my children.
Then, I stopped. I knew that I could just keep the list going and going. This wasn't helping me get things out of my head and providing me the relief of carrying it around. . . it was showing me how far off target I was. It was depressing, in a way. However, in another way, I did have some sense of relief. I desire to improve, who doesn't? I'm aware of my inadequacies, and that is a good thing. . . one must be aware of where they need to improve, or they won't know what steps to take to bring about improvement, right??
The one thing on my list that is an absolute necessity is "I should read and study the Bible daily". I need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. I have to pray and empty my burdens at the Lord's feet on a daily basis. I have to constantly acknowledge my need for Him. I cannot do it in my own power. I can, however, do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Does this mean that tomorrow I am going to get up and spend 30 minutes of quiet time reading and praying, and then I will have the ability to get all of my "shoulds" done? No, that isn't realistic. We are not going to get it all together until we are in Heaven. For now, I will committ to meeting with my coach tomorrow morning and I will do the next step in the other pressing areas of my life. What about you? I'd love to hear from those visitors that stopped by to read my blog posting.

This is a really great post. I totally connected with you there. I know that I am praying all day long and I would enjoy being able to just sit, pray and listen for a period of time every day too. The Lord has blessed me with 4 beautiful little spirits to care for during my day though. So my moments with him are short but sweet. They are my little pick me ups! :)
ReplyDeleteMy should list is very long as well. It does set short term goals for us though for a happy thought!
Have a great weekend! :)
I'm always thinking of things I "should" be doing. Today is one of those days...
ReplyDeleteI should be washing the dishes.
I should be folding the mounds of laundry.
I should be vacuuming what was tracked in from our busy weekend.
But, today I also have a sick (with a cold) baby who needs all of me. As long as I am fellowshipping with my Saviour and doing what he has given me to do TODAY, the other shoulds can wait until tomorrow.